My apologies to any non-parents out there, this is a potty post. We have been fully engrossed in a Diaper Detox experiment. We cut diapers cold turkey (while awake) on Wednesday afternoon….and spent 72 hours hunkered down with paper towels, Chlorox wipes and potty songs. I’ll spare you too many details but will say it’s been quite the adventure in patience and endurance, and I definitely survived so far by the support of some key friends, my sister, and an emergency Margarita Friday night. We’re not finished, but have had enough success, especially with Dylan, to admit to the world what we’ve been up to without feeling too crazy.
By the numbers…
- 20 minutes in-between “potty reminders” on day 1
- 5 minutes after getting up from epic potty time when Whitney most often finally agrees to go
- 100 ounces of Apple Juice consumed
- 8 superhero and 6 princess undies worn in the first 5 hours
- 1 out of 4 couch “tarps” displaced by toddler just in time for an unlucky accident
- dozens of unnecessary (but thrilling) toilet flushes
- 9,472 requests for “Mary Poppins” (singing performances) fulfilled with direct toileting results
With so much time spent hyper-focused on my kids, I did a hair experiment with Whitney that I thought turned out really pretty. We also spent a lot of time outdoors. Whitney improved her dog whispering (and ball throwing) skills while Lady Dog visited us for a few days.